TRIP AND FALL INJURIES
Profit Sheet – Cost Reduction Guide
Based on a sampling of claims in 500 Owner/Operator stores, trip and fall injuries were one of the most severe injury types listed, affecting crew members, maintenance, and management.
|1. Trips over Carts, Mops, Equipment||Proper Housekeeping/Storage|
|2. Freezer, Tile, Parking Lot, Drain Grate Trips||Maintenance of the Property|
|3. Trips on Boxes, Wrappers, Food||Proper storage and disposal of materials|
REDUCING INJURY EXPOSURES:
- Trips over Carts, Mops, Equipment
- Place mops in storage immediately after use. Do not leave in travel paths.
- When mopping floors, ensure the person who is mopping warns others of their approach, to prevent trips and struck by injuries.
- Keep all extension cords recessed out of travel paths, and ensure mobile equipment is stored properly when not in use.
- Zero Tolerance Policy for Horseplay, Running, etc.
- Freezer, Tile, Parking Lot, Drain Grate Trips
- The metal plates on the cooler and freezer floor are not lifting.
- There are no missing or cracked tiles on the floor.
- The drain grates are secure, and areas around the drain grates are smooth as well.
- There are no cracks or indentations on sidewalks or in the parking lot of greater than ¼ of an inch. This can be measured by stacking 4 pennies next to the crack or indentation to measure the height.
- Trips on Boxes, Wrappers:
- Immediately store shipments on shelves, and out of travel paths.
- Dispose of all wrappers immediately. Hold crew members accountable for their work areas.
- Dispose of empty boxes immediately, or place out of travel paths. Do not store in front of shelves and other areas where employees will have to move them.
- Cellophane wrappers and sheets are especially slippery. These should be balled up and thrown away as soon as they are no longer being used.
- Keep an eye out for any food items that may have fallen onto the floor. Something as small as a pickle slice can cause an employee to have a severe fall.
FREE RESOURCES TO ASSIST IN REDUCING TRIPS AND FALLS: