MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENTS
Profit Sheet – Cost Reduction Guide
Based on a sampling of claims in 500 Owner/Operator stores, over 10% of the total loss cost losses were associated with motor vehicle accidents
|1. Motor Vehicle Accidents
|Reduce driving, Proper training
|2. Similar Type Accidents
|Proper accident investigation, response.
REDUCING INJURY EXPOSURES:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents:
- Have managers watch MSU driver safety video.
- Reduce driving to only an as needed basis. Remember:
- Anticipate food shortages so transport can be done during non-peak traffic times.
- Keep authorized drivers to a minimum.
- Avoid driving at night.
- Create a driver safety program. Ensure it covers, at a minimum:
- Seatbelt use
- Cell Phone/Texting
- No driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Defensive driving techniques
- Proper maintenance of vehicles.
- Perform motor vehicle record checks (MVR’s)on any employee who might drive accompany vehicle, or personal vehicle for company use. Also:
- Request driver MVR eligibility guidelines from your insurance carrier (MVR’s)
- Require driver school/defensive driving training after moving violations/at fault, or preventable accidents.
- Instruct employees inform you as to when they have had a moving violation so that corrective action can be taken (opposed to you finding out on the MVR).
- On employees that drive personal vehicles for company use, ensure:
- Proper insurance is kept on the vehicle. If the employee does not have proper insurance, you could be held responsible for their accident, if during work hours.
- Ensure vehicle is properly maintained.
- Ensure employee follows all company safety rules, and review a current MVR for the employee prior to allowing them to drive for company business.
- Analyze and Correct
- Perform a root cause analysis on all accidents. Determine if the accident was not at fault, or at fault, and also if preventable or not preventable.
- Initiate corrective action on all causes of the incident.
FREE RESOURCES TO ASSIST IN REDUCING MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENTS:
Safe Driving Policy – DOWNLOAD THE SAMPLE POLICY